About this Event
Worker Co-operatives have operated for over a century in the United States and Canada. Although still relatively small compared with other major co-operative sectors, the worker co-op movement is constantly growing. Worker co-ops demonstrate every day the potential of this alternative form of collective entrepreneurship, particularly in these challenging economic times for workers.
However, the development of the worker co-operative movement in North America was built without significant collaboration among the different federations of worker co-operatives which have been established in different regions.
For the first time, members of worker co-operatives from all regions of North America are invited to meet together and share their experiences. This event will bring together members of the US Federation of Worker Co-ops, the Canadian Worker Co-op Federation, and several worker co-op federations in Quebec.
This Conference will provide an opportunity to:
This continental solidarity among worker co-ops will be manifested publicly at this Conference by two major actions of North American worker co-op federations:
- Develop expertise by sharing best practices of management and governance with worker co-operators from Quebec, the rest of Canada and the U.S.
- Learn from the experience of worker co-operators from various other countries: Spain, France, Italy, Argentina, who have been invited as guest presenters.
- Show our solidarity in building a caring economy based on ownership and control of co-operative enterprises by their workers.
- The creation of a North American association of cooperatives working with our collective voice in international forums for cooperation: “CICOPA-North America”. (CICOPA is the French acronym for the international Worker Co-op Federation, and this will be a sub-regional entity of CICOPA-Americas.)
- The drafting of a joint declaration for 2012, the UN International Year of Co-operatives, which will set the out the public policy platform of the Federations.
The North American Worker Co-operative Conference 2011 is a historic event not to be missed!
Featured presenters include:
If you are interested in the other Conference, click here.
- Amy Goodman, Journalist and Founder, Democracy Now! (New York City), United States
- Bruno Blais, founding member and General Manager, La Barberie Worker Co-op, Québec
- Patrick Lenancker, President, CG Scop, France
- Bruno Roelants, Bruno Roelants, General Secretary, International Organization of Industrial, Artisanal and Service Producers’ Cooperatives (CICOPA), Belgium
- Margaret Lund, past Executive Director, Northcountry Co-op Development Fund (Minneapolis), United States)
- Alberto Zevi, President, Legacoop Education Centre, Italy
- José Orbaiceta, President, Worker Co-op Federation of Argentina (FECOOTRA)
- Mikel Lezamiz, Director of Co-operative Dissemination, Mondragon, Spain
- Félice Scalvini, Co-President, Cooperatives Europe, and Vice President, International Co-operative Alliance (ICA), Italy
- Melissa Hoover, Executive Director, United Stated Federation of Worker Co-operatives (US FWC), United States
- Rebecca Kemble, President, United Stated Federation of Worker Co-operatives (US FWC), United States
- Colin MacDougall, Finance Manager, La Siembra
- Michael MacIsaac, Executive Director, Canadian Labour Congress
- Réjean Lantagne, Executive director, Canadian Cooperation Society for International Development (SOCODEVI)
- ...and many more!